There will be a national Freeview retune on the 30th September – your set top box will need to be fully rescanned in order to keep all your channels. The retune is necessary because of upgrades to the Freeview platform.
You will need to rescan at midday on the 30th September to ensure your viewing is not interrupted. The upgrades will allow HD channels to broadcast on Freeview in the future.
An on-screen overlay is currently appearing on the BBC channels, ITV1, Channel 4 and Five giving details of the retune. Freeview+ receivers should rescan automatically.
The following changes will take place;
– Five will be more widely available across the country (the official Freeview website says “more than 500,000 Freeview homes will be able to receive Five for the first time; and these improvements will ensure that Five will be available to all Freeview homes at the point of switchover”).
– Coverage of BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and Channel 4 will be further improved.
– Quest (the new channel from Discovery) will launch on channel 38 after having been postponed earlier this year – the official Freeview site says “it will be available to the majority of Freeview homes”.
There will be some losses after the retune though;
– Some viewers won’t be able to receive ITV3 and ITV4 (the official Freeview website says “a small percentage of homes will find they lose these services after retuning”).
– Community Channel will no longer be available in areas that have already gone through digital switchover.
– Viewers in England and Wales will lose ITV2+1.
The retune is even more essential for BBC Radio listeners in Border, Westcountry and parts of Wales – you will lose BBC Radio services until you retune.
Several channels will change their channel numbers;
– Price-Drop TV will move from channel 43 to 37
– Quest will move from channel 47 to 38
– Super Casino will move from channel 48 to 39
– Rocks & Co will move from channel 49 to 40
– Smile TV 2 will move from channel 33 to 94
– Smile TV 3 will move from channel 37 to 95
– Babestation will move from channel 42 to 96
– Partyland will move from channel 50 to 97
– Television X will move from channel 97 to 98